I've been blogging for approximately 2 years now. But it seems I've been writing online for a lot longer than that. Helene in Between is two years old, but before then there was “Do Dallas Cheap” where I tried to be an expert on deals of the day. There was also “Helene's Notebook” where I chronicled stories about my life. Although I still have a long way to go, I feel like I'm kind of getting the hang of this whole “lifestyle” blogging thing.
So here are the 10 Things I'd tell Helene when she first started blogging:
1. Ask yourself, would you want to read that? If the answer is no, then don't hit publish. It's probably crap.
2. Get a good camera. Pictures are worth 1,000 words and they really do make a difference when it comes to the looks of your blog.
3. Comment on other blogs. That is the number one way that I gained followers (once it finally caught on that it was a way to gain followers).
4. Sponsor other blogs. In line with #3, sponsoring a few good blogs really helps get your name out there.
5. Not everyone is going to like you. Get a thick skin, and get over it.
6. Start your social media NOW. I didn't have twitter or a blog Facebook page for months. I lost out on potential readers since they had no way to follow me. (P.S. here's why you need a Facebook Page for your blog).
7. Don't compare. Someone's always going to be better, prettier, have more followers etc. Learn from it and continue to focus on your own content.
8. You will spend more time on this than you realize. It will become something of a child and you'll end up thinking about it all the time. You'll ask yourself “would this be good for the blog?”
9. Success doesn't happen over night. It's going to take a lot of time, patience, creativity, and picmonkey skills to get you there.
10. Keep on going. No matter what you can do it. It's all worth it in the end.
Tomorrow's Prompt: Best/Worst Vacation
Click HERE for all the prompts for #Blogtober14!