The other night I was watching the Olympic games (ok, so I've been watching them every night since they've been on) and they had a feature on a guy who had been to the last 10 Olympic Games. His passion and enthusiasm reminded me of what it's like for me to go to Tomorrowland. Following it's every move, collecting memorabilia, and tearing up thinking of the magic surrounding it. Sounds very familiar.
That's why the Olympics is very similar to going to a music festival:
1. You meet people from around the world.
Last year, Tomorrowland actually had more representatives from other countries than the Olympics, but just the same, it's a common ground to meet others from around the world. Maybe you exchange Olympic pins or bracelets but you both have something in common: you're obsessed.
2. The announcers/ MCs are REALLY into it.
You think you're into it? “Watch that triple axel, nailed it!!” “Avicii is dropping the beats like a mastermind. Can you feel it?” The commentary is almost a sport itself.
3. The athletes/performers always get in a good workout.
Hey DJs/ music acts are jumping around almost as much as a figure skater doing a .
4. Freestyle skiing is kind of like freestyle mixing/singing/rapping.
5. People always cheer for their home team.
No matter what, you get excited when your country is represented. Even if they lose or the music goes out.
6. Despite the weather, the show goes on.
Unless it's really really bad, they continue with the sport.
7. There's a heavy use of fireworks.
8. Everything's more expensive.
Food, drinks, t-shirts. It's all triple the price. But you buy it anyway.
9. You have to schedule.
Different music acts/ sporting events are going on at the same time. You have to schedule everything so you don't miss your favorite.
10. They have weird names:
Music festivals: Avicii, Showtek, Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Hardwell
Olympics: Evgeni Plushenko, Yulia Lipnitskaya, Dario Cologna, Shaun White (well… he's weird looking)
What do you think? Notice any similarities?
|How cute is this picture? Not fair.|
2. What has dance taught you?
3. Favorite song to dance to right now?
4. What dancer do you look up to or find inspiration in?
5. What's so great about ballet?