Upon moving to Germany last year I had never been to Austria. I knew about the vibrant city of Vienna, the gorgeous views of Innsbruck, and the old town of Salzburg. But I never thought I’d spend so much time in the hills, valleys, and quaint cities in Austria. Out of all the countries in Europe I've spent more time in Austria and gone back more often than any other place. This quaint country has so much to offer and it’s no surprise I keep going back for more.
I’ve collected 22 photos of some of the most picturesque places in Austria that will leave you mesmerized. And ready to book a plane ticket.
Below you can find a map of all the places discussed in this post:
Who knew that I'd fall head over heels in love with Austria? Just this year alone I've been five times and already have plans to go back. When you combine the Alps, history, mountain lakes, cows, royalty, and architecture all in one beautiful little country, it's worth the visit. It's close to so many other countries that it makes it easy to travel around, or you could just stick in Austria. There is truly so much to see. And I intend to convince you with this post.
This unassuming country is wedged below Germany and the Czech Republic and above Italy and Slovenia. It's right by Switzerland, so it makes it easy to travel around. Can't wait to share some of my favorite photos with you!
1. The snowy town of Innsbruck
2. Streets of Vienna, Austria
3. Hohenwerfen Castle – a 900 year old fortress and castle near Salzburg.
4. Skiing at Hintertux Glacier
5. Main square in Hallstatt
6. The valley of Söll in Wilder Kaiser
7. Colorful homes in Innsbruck
8. The cows in Zillertal
9. Hintersteiner Lake – one of the clearest mountain lakes you'll ever see!
10. Candy-colored walks in Kitzbuehel
11. Mountain tops of Innsbruck – if this doesn't look like a desktop screensaver?!
12. Church interior in Ellmau
13. A pretty Pension near Hitertux Glacier
14. Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna
15. Imperial Palace in Innsbruck
16. The “Gazebo” from The Sound of Music in Salzburg
17. Mountains of Wilder Kaiser
18. Hofburg Palace in Vienna
19. The historical town of Hallstatt
20. History Museum in Vienna
21. Quaint and colorful streets of Kitzbuehel
22. Rooftops in Salzburg
Honestly, I could share 1,000 pictures of Austria and it STILL wouldn't be enough to capture its beauty. It's absolutely one of my favorite countries and I can't wait to go back!
Wonder what I shoot with? I tell you exactly how I chose my camera right here.
Take a look at my past posts about Austria!