There was an article buzzing around entitled “27 Things You Should Say Goodbye to at 27“; while
I agree with some of the article's points, there are a few that left me scratching my head.
For instance, she says to stop listening to boy bands. I'm not going to lie, I sometimes listen to a little One Direction. Don't ever tell me what my musical tastes should be, ever. I can shop at Forever 21 and H&M until I'm 50 years old if the clothes still look good, thank you. Theme parties are fun as hell.
But the point that struck me the most was that you can no longer take vacations “just because.” At that, I was done with the author. I am in weddings; I go to weddings yet I still manage to make one overseas trip a year. Now that sounds like being a grown up to me.
Being that I am, in fact, 27 years old, I thought it appropriate to write my own list.
1. Travel. Instead of spending your money at the bar or on dinner save it and go see the world as often as you can.
2. Save your money while you're youngish, it will pay off later.
3. Also, You should probably start adding to that 401 K. You know, you do want to retire one day.
4. Shop where you feel comfortable. If that's at Forever 21, (I'm looking in the mirror on this one) fantastic. Just make sure your butt cheeks aren't hanging out.
5. Stop smoking. Cigarettes are bad for your skin, and it's not cool anymore (well, it really wasn't ever once we learned it caused cancer.)
6. Use sunscreen. Not SPF 10, actual SPF 30 with UV protection.
7. Stop worrying about what others think of you. I KNOW. I know. It's hard but wouldn't life be awesome?
8. Put your phone down. Instagram will still be there in a few hours.
9. Stay out until 2am. Sometimes it is worth it. I'm not saying every weekend or every month, just once in a while.
10. Have a “freakum dress.” You need one dress/outfit in your closet that makes you want to dance like Beyonce.
11. Do something that scares you. Nike was right, just do it.
12. Make time for yourself. Just to be alone and think.
13. Throw a party. Yeah, even a themed party! Or a dinner party. Do something nice for your friends.
14. Do something nice for a stranger.
15. If you don't already, learn how to change a tire. I don't know about you, but I don't want to die at the hands of a serial killer. Yes, if I am stranded on the road a serial killer will find me.
16. Think about your dream job and start making a plan and working towards it.
17. Learn a new skill. Don't understand HTML? Photography? Sewing? Dog Training? Great. Take a class.
18. Perfect at least one meal in the kitchen. You don't need to become a chef, but boiling pasta isn't gonna cut it.
19. Learn how to pick out a decent bottle of wine. Bring it as a gift to the host/ess.
20. Start doing what your mother told you. Not only is your mother right, she's brilliant: never go to a party empty handed.
21. Get serious about accruing frequent flyer points or travel rewards. Then use them.
22. Have at least five contacts that you can use as references for job interviews. No, not relatives.
23. Start doing things ahead of time instead of waiting last minute. Use your planner.
24. Be on time. Being late isn't acceptable anymore.
25. Go see your favorite musician live. Yes, there will be crowds. But it will be an experience.
26. Stop wasting time on things that don't matter. Just say no.
27. Follow your own instincts. You know better than anyone else, after all. We all have our own path, so do what you want.
Yay for being an adult!