It’s that time. There’s a sort of magic in the air. Last night Michael and I watched the claymation version (is there really any other version?) of Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer. As I watched, I realized just how bizarre the movie is. But it, like many Christmas movies, offers some priceless lessons.
1. Rudolph. I will always feel like a kid on Christmas. No matter my age. I will watch Christmas movies until I’m at least 100. This one teaches that everyone has a purpose, even if you feel like a misfit or have a red nose.
2. Elf. The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud, for all to hear. Even if you have a terrible voice. This teaches that there are four main food groups: candy, candy cane, candy corn and syrup.
3. Home Alone. Being home alone is totally fun, but being with your family, even if they drive you crazy and make you share a bed with a bed-wetter, is the best.
4. Miracle on 34th Street. Seeing is not believing. Sometimes I feel like I need to have something tangible in order to believe it’s true. But that’s not always the case. You have to trust, and rely on a little magic at times.
5. Love, Actually. Even though the world seems big, we’re more connected than we think. And you can almost always find love. It might not be what you thought you were seeking.
6. Scrooge (aka A Christmas Carol). There’s no use in being miserly and counting your money alone. You’re happiest when you share your time and resources with others. Ghosts can teach some good life lessons.
7. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. Leave Dad (or Mom) alone. He’s worked hard and put up ALL the Christmas lights and has to deal with his in-laws. We learn that the Pledge of Allegiance is always appropriate.
8. The Santa Clause. Anyone can be Santa, you just have to believe.
9. The Grinch. People can change, even when you least expect it.
10. It’s A Wonderful Life. Even when you’re as low as you can get, your life is worth something. And life is measured in friends and family, not money.
Lastly, congrats to Taylor on her engagement! I’m so happy for y’all! Now please post about it already.
Merry Christmas Eve to you all!!