Last night I was chatting with my little sister. She’s currently a freshman in college
and doesn’t quite realize how awesome she has it. She’ll sometimes send me snapchats of herself with a frown on her face with the text displayed “studying never ends ahhh.” The next snapchat will be a few hours later and she’s at “T-shirt night” with bunch of red cups in the background. You’re not fooling anyone.
Just looking at her college photos on Facebook I swear, sometimes I smell beer. She’ll tell me about some band I’ve never heard of that she’s going to see and she’ll be wearing the newest trend, because she’s 19 and can pull off basically anything. I sat there listening to her recount her Spring Break and I found myself a little jealous.
Despite the fact that I’m wise beyond her years, she’s still taught me some valuable life lessons:
- Don’t post on your instagram too often, space it out by at least a few hours if not a whole day. They know a thing or two about being instagram famous. Or, at the very least getting likes on instagram in general.
- When in doubt, go out. You’ll probably have a good time and if you don’t, it’s a good story.
- Re- runs of Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Full House, and Boy Meets World are always a good idea.
- If you don’t take a picture, did it really happen?
- Fanny packs hold all your stuff and are versatile.
- Save some of your high school clothes for theme parties.
- If you own cut off jean shorts you’re basically set for a summer wardrobe.
- There’s nothing wrong with a selfie.
- You should be listening to Arctic Monkeys.
- Have something you’re passionate about. Otherwise life is boring.
- If it makes you nervous, it’s probably worth it.
The last one applies to me most today. I was in a group text with both my sisters this morning to let them know I’ll be on the Alan Colmes radio show (tonight at 6pm central time if you’re interested) and I have an interview with Buzzfeed today. Their response? “Holy shit! OK, calm down, you’ll be fine.” Wise words. I wish I was as cool, calm, and collected as they are. Oh, if you’re wondering why the hell anyone wants to talk to me read this post.